A recent ABC News story about the rise in deaths by suicide has generated outrage from suicide prevention advocates and critics, who have accused the network of failing to adequately investigate the issue.
The ABC’s investigation into the issue, based on data collected by a leading suicide prevention organization, was initially reported on Monday.
It was edited to remove references to a suicide rate that had been reported in previous reports and to remove a reference to suicide attempts that had not occurred.
But the article went live with a misleading headline, which said: “This is not a ‘suicide by suicide,’ it is a ‘death from suicide.'”
The ABC did not respond to questions about why the headline was changed, and the network said it did not know why it had changed the headline.
The article sparked outrage among suicide prevention organizations, which claimed it did an abysmal job of reporting on suicide.
“The headline of this article is simply not accurate,” said Dr. Jennifer Houghton, executive director of the National Alliance to End Suicide.
“We have seen a sharp increase in the number of suicides, particularly suicides by youth.
The story was pulled from the network’s website and will be replaced with a news story on Wednesday.ABC News’ news editor, Tom Brierley, issued a statement on Tuesday that said: We have always been clear that we do not publish stories that contain inaccurate information. “
The article’s headline is also misleading because it does not mention the fact that there is no national data on suicide by youth in Australia.”ABC News did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The story was pulled from the network’s website and will be replaced with a news story on Wednesday.ABC News’ news editor, Tom Brierley, issued a statement on Tuesday that said: We have always been clear that we do not publish stories that contain inaccurate information.
Our coverage is carefully considered by our newsroom team and we are proud of the work that we have done over the last few years to identify, report and respond to newsworthy and important stories that we believe to be important to the Australian community.
The story was not the first time that the ABC has come under fire for reporting on a suicide.
In August 2016, ABC News’ reporter Mark Johnson wrote an article about a suicide by the family of a young woman who was found hanging at a Sydney home.
The ABC did a follow-up story on the case on Wednesday, but the story was edited in a way that minimized the importance of the woman’s family and ignored the fact the young woman had attempted suicide before her death.
In the story, Johnson reported that “The family had been concerned that the teenager had contemplated suicide at least once before,” and added that the family had taken “several steps to try and make her whole.”
The story later was updated to reflect the fact there was no evidence to suggest that the teen had attempted or attempted suicide, and that the story did not address the family’s concerns that she was “trying to kill herself.”ABC journalist and author Peter O’Brien tweeted about the story on Tuesday, calling the news piece “dangerous” and “completely inaccurate.”